Sunday, September 12, 2010

Miserere Mei

It just so happens that the Psalm for the Vigil Mass this September 11 is Psalm 51, the "Miserere." It is about sin and redemption, forgiveness and conversion. For Mass, it is combined with a line from the parable of the prodigal son.
R. I will rise and go to my father (Lk 15:18).
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.
R. I will rise and go to my father.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
R. I will rise and go to my father.
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
R. I will rise and go to my father.
In these days, when we are tempted to rage and hateful retaliation against our enemies, it is right and appropriate that we should pray that God give us instead a clean heart and steadfast spirit.

It is not exactly a movie, but it is available on DVD, and this rendition of Gregorio Allegri's Miserere by the Tallis Scholars, filmed at the Basilica of S. Maria Maggiore, Rome, on the occasion of Allegri's 400th birthday, is quite good (unfortunately, the clip ends up "clipping" off the last part of the piece).


.

No comments: